Saturday, February 27, 2010

Math. Mute.

I always abhored mathematical problem solving. To me, a problem only having one answer was so mundane and frustrating. If I didn't know how to do the problem, then I'm just stuck. There's no creativity involved. Not even trial and error. As long as I am clueless to the whole concept of the problem, there is a very slim chance of solving it. I guess that's why I considered myself an English person most of my life. Analysis of a reading passage or piece of literature was always left up to a wide range of interpretation. Given, there are always symbols, literary devices, and plots that are widely accepted as being correct in all instances. But, nonetheless, if I want to interpret a "problem" in English, I could approach it any way I want and still be "right", with sufficient evidence and support.

However, as I study for chemistry and solve problem after problem, I'm starting to get it. Once you got the concepts down, problem-solving is a puzzle. Figuring out how all the pieces fit together to agree with the concept. And solving the puzzle is INTOXICATING.

3 comments:

johncadengo said...

Gasp! I am offended.

If you think there is no creativity involved in solving math problems, then you haven't met real math.

nasus mik said...

i agree with cadengo.
there are so many approaches you can take to math problems. yes, there is one, absolute answer; however, there are infinite ways to deduce to that specific answer.

don't diss on math!

Estar said...

nerd!!!

HAHAH the word verification thing below says
SUCKMA