Friday, April 17, 2009

Enjoy the Silence

I decided, it's not fair to judge anything before you have tried it or before you have thoroughly researched and educated yourself about it. Such a simple, obvious lesson, but it took a while for me. So here are two examples of how I've been trying to practice my new philosophy:

I talked trash about Twilight. Edward Cullen? Vampires? A whole book filled with glorified adjectives about the impossible attractiveness of a vampire? No thank you. Not to mention a horrid movie was also released. I was genuinely appalled by the whole Twilight craze, especially the throng of girls who are ready to sell their hearts for the sexy fictional pale-skinned, auburn hair, beautiful, perfect straight nose, piercing ice cold brown eyes, *insert more adjectives* Edward Cullen. 

But alas, I have judged this entire franchise without giving it a chance. The craze may be a bit much, but who knows? Maybe the book may offer intrigue and end up being an excellent read. So I picked up Twilight for 4 bucks off Half.com and I've started reading it as a bathroom read. I'll let you guys know how I like it.

Secondly, Tristina challenged me about sorority girls. She asked me why I hate sororities so much. And I gave some typical answers like, "Bleh, there's just no purpose! All they do is drink and pay money to have friends!" And then she asked me how I know that. And I say, "Just look at Facebook and it's just obvious through pictures. And I have some friends in sororities too, it's just dumb". Furthermore, she pushed my buttons by saying "But how do you know all of them are like that, what about the ones who don't drink? What about sorority girls who are in it for connections and for valid reasons?" To that, I just say "Bah humbug". I admit that I do judge them, although I am honestly not really tight or close with any one of them to know them that well. 

But today, I talked to a sorority girl and asked her all types of questions about her sorority. After somewhat of an educational conversation, I concluded this:

Sororities still have no point; all you do is dress up and attend events, which usually involves drinking. "You pay to have a social life (1200 a year). You don't really make friends unless you really make the effort anyway". Direct quote from the girl.

Well, done deal. I still don't like sororities.

4 comments:

Padfoot240 said...

Sororities and Frats always seemed like that to me. They weren't terribly bad, why would you end up paying for all this stuff? I mean where else could you possibly meet people that an interest in what your major is and what you do?! WHERE?! And they do tend to drunk a lot, but that's more of the culture telling us what college people should do.

As for Twilight, I did the same thing you did. I couldn't finish the last book, it was that bad. I think it made me hate it even more. We will have to discuss this once you are done with a book, or all of the books.

Cory said...

I just don't think I can get used to those kinds of vampire enough to sit down and read those books. I'm not much of a vampire fan anyway, but I will stand by Bram Stoker's Dracula.

Michelle Park said...

HAHA nice second example -______-
And omg are you serious. Please don't come out a male Twilight fan :(

erlcl3e said...

If you end up enjoying Twilight, I would very strongly suggest keeping that to yourself if you want to keep your masculinity intact. Please. Haha.

I agree with you on the sorority stuff. It seems pointless and dumb, but if you think about it, people are shallow and foolish for the most part, which is why the "connections" part of frats/sororities is such a big incentive. 10 years from now, somebody not as qualified, not as smart, not as hard working, and not as experienced may be hired over you based solely on "You were in that frat too? TOTALLY AWESOME BRAH!" Such is life. But you just have to accept it. Otherwise you become that bitter person who hates life and everybody in it. I have a close friend who's in a sorority. I always make fun of her and belittle her promiscuous sorority ways. But in a few years, she's probably gonna have an advantage over me in the job market. Sad. But it's ok Dan. Never sell out! The Lord provides :)